Paying for overpriced Kia Sorento insurance in Las Cruces can overdraw your bank account and force you to prioritize other expenses. Comparing cost estimates is a great way to make ends meet.
Sad but true, 70% of consumers kept their policy with the same company for four years or more, and 38% of drivers have never shopped around. New Mexico insurance shoppers could save an average of approximately $470 each year just by shopping around, but they underestimate the amount of money they would save if they moved their coverage to a different company. You have so many auto insurance companies to pick from, and although it's nice to be able to choose, too many choices makes it more difficult to find the lowest rates for Kia Sorento insurance in Las Cruces.
This article's intent is to familiarize you with how car insurance works. If you have insurance now, you will most likely be able to shop for the lowest rates using the following tips. Smart buyers just need to use the most efficient way to compare rate quotes online.
Finding a lower price on insurance is a great way to save money. You just have to spend a few minutes on the computer comparing rate quotes to discover which company has affordable Kia Sorento insurance quotes.
It's so easy to compare price quotes online that it replaces the need to make phone calls or go to different agent offices. Quoting and buying Kia Sorento insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you prefer the peace of mind only provided by licensed agents. However, consumers can compare online quotes and get advice from an agent in your area.
The providers in the list below offer price comparisons in Las Cruces, NM. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you click on several of them to get the most competitive price.
Choosing Kia vehicle insurance is an important decision
Even though Las Cruces Sorento insurance rates can get expensive, insurance is mandatory in New Mexico but it also protects more than you think.
First, just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you drive a vehicle. In New Mexico these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your Kia Sorento with a loan, more than likely the lender will force you to carry insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Kia for a lot more money and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay for a defense attorney if you cause an accident and are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially if you ever need it. On average, a vehicle owner in Las Cruces overpays more than $865 each year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to save money.
How Car Insurance Companies Calculate Kia Sorento Insurance Prices
Many factors are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, but others are less apparent like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating.
Shown below are some of the most common factors companies use to determine your rates.
- Car insurance liability protection limits - A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will afford coverage in the event that a jury decides you are liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Your policy's liability insurance provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- Keep premiums low by being claim-free - If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies in New Mexico award the lowest premiums to insureds who only file infrequent claims. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for claims that pose a financial burden.
- Deter theft and reduce prices - Buying a car with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Anti-theft features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
- Only buy what you need - Policies have extra coverages that you can get tricked into buying when buying auto insurance. Insurance for things like rental car coverage, accident forgiveness, and term life insurance are probably not needed. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if you don't need them remove them and pocket the money.
- Cheaper rates after marriage - Getting married may cut your premiums on your policy. Having a spouse usually means you are more mature than a single person and it's proven that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Which gender costs less? - The statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Men and women are in accidents in similar numbers, but the males tend to have more serious accidents. Not only are claims higher, but men get more serious tickets such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Males from age 16 to 21 generally have the highest accident percentage and thus pay the highest rates.
- Raising physical damage deductibles lowers costs - Physical damage deductibles define how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Coverage for physical damage, aka comp and collision, protects your car from damage. Some examples of covered claims would be a windshield broken by a bird, fire damage, and damage caused by road hazards. The larger the amount the insured is willing to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Rates can change based on your address - Choosing to live in smaller towns and rural areas of the country can be a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Drivers in populated areas have to deal with more traffic problems and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers means less chance of accidents.
- Kia Sorento statistical loss data - Auto insurance companies use statistical claims data to determine a rate that will be profitable for them. Vehicles that are shown to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have higher premium rates. The next table shows the compiled insurance loss statistics for Kia Sorento vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles as a whole is considered to be 100. Percentages below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate more frequent losses or an increased probability of a larger loss.
Kia Sorento Insurance Loss Statistics
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Kia Sorento 4dr 2WD 80 86 82 110 111 94 Kia Sorento 4dr 4WD 85 87 101 97 98 85
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Save money by applying discounts
Some insurance providers don't necessarily list their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find some of the more common and the more hidden insurance savings.
- Senior Discount - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for better insurance rates.
- Anti-theft Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who require all occupants to buckle up can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the personal injury premium cost.
- Waiver for an Accident - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like Allstate and GEICO will turn a blind eye to one accident without the usual rate increase if you have no claims before the accident.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you can combine your auto and homeowners policy with one company you may earn nearly 15% which can help you find affordable Kia Sorento insurance rates in Las Cruces.
- College Student - Youth drivers who attend college more than 100 miles from Las Cruces and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Good Student - Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Driver Training Discounts - Taking a class that teaches defensive driver techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
We need to note that some credits don't apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that it's possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn't work that way. But any discount will cut your insurance premiums.
Large insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are included below.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for federal employee, anti-theft, good student, membership and employees, and anti-lock brakes.
- MetLife offers discounts for defensive driver, good student, claim-free, good driver, multi-policy, accident-free
- State Farm includes discounts for accident-free, safe vehicle, student away at school, driver's education, and good student.
- Progressive may include discounts for online signing, multi-policy, homeowner, good student, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for low natural disaster claims, anti-theft, location of vehicle, age of vehicle, accident-free, and professional/association.
- 21st Century offers discounts including driver training, homeowners, early bird, air bags, and defensive driver.
- Allstate may have discounts that include new car, premier plus, multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, and premier discount.
It's a good idea to ask all companies you are considering to give you their best rates. A few discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. To choose providers that offer the discounts shown above in Las Cruces, follow this link.
Comparing quotes from local Las Cruces auto insurance agents
Some consumers just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended Good insurance agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper car insurance rates and still choose a local agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agents is important especially in Las Cruces.
Once you complete this simple form, the coverage information is submitted to participating agents in Las Cruces that give free quotes to get your business. It's much easier because you don't need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent directly to you. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, just go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
When looking for a local agent, you should know the different types of agents and how they work. Las Cruces agents are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either type can write policy coverage, but it's important to know the difference in how they write coverage because it can factor into which type of agent you select.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies can sell policies from many different companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies amongst many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If premiums increase, your agent can switch companies and you don't have to switch agencies. If you need cheaper insurance rates, it's recommended you include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for maximum quote selection.
The following is a short list of independent agencies in Las Cruces who may be able to give you free rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents can only provide pricing for a single company like Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. These agents are well trained on their company's products which helps them compete with independent agents.
The following are Las Cruces exclusive insurance agents that are able to give rate quotes.
Choosing the best car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. These are valid questions to ask:
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
Don't give up on cheap coverage
Affordable Kia Sorento insurance in Las Cruces can be found from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Las Cruces agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies may not have rates over the internet and these small insurance companies work with independent insurance agencies.
Throughout this article, we presented many tips how you can reduce Kia Sorento insurance car insurance rates online in Las Cruces. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest car insurance rates come from an unexpected company. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable New Mexico Car Insurance for 4x4 Vehicles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Homeowners in New Mexico? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Las Vegas, New Mexico? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Silver City, New Mexico? (FAQ)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)