Cutting costs on Toyota Highlander insurance in Las Cruces could be difficult for drivers who are beginners to online price comparisons. Drivers have so many agents and companies to choose from that it can easily become a real difficult job to locate the lowest price in New Mexico.
Inconceivable but true, most insurance customers have bought insurance from the same company for over three years, and 38% of customers have never even compared rates from other companies. Consumers in New Mexico could save nearly $470 every year, but they don't know the big savings they would realize if they moved their coverage to a different company.
Locating the best insurance company for you in Las Cruces is much easier if you know where to start. Practically every vehicle owner who is required by state law to have car insurance will probably get better rates. Nevertheless, New Mexico consumers need to learn how the larger insurance companies calculate your car insurance rates because it varies considerably.
Most major insurance companies such as GEICO, State Farm and Progressive provide price estimates from their websites. Comparing prices online for Toyota Highlander insurance in Las Cruces is easy for anyone as you simply enter your personal and coverage information as detailed in the form. Once entered, the company's rating system collects reports for credit and driving violations and returns pricing information determined by many factors.
This makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it's very important to have as many quotes as possible if you want to get the lowest payment on auto insurance.
To quickly fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, check out the auto insurance providers below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you duplicate deductibles and limits exactly as they are listed on your policy. This ensures you're receiving a fair comparison for exact coverage.
The companies shown below can provide quotes in New Mexico. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Highlander Sport 4WD||$256||$386||$332||$20||$100||$1,094||$91|
|Highlander SE 2WD||$312||$516||$434||$26||$130||$1,418||$118|
|Highlander Sport 2WD||$150||$272||$364||$22||$108||$916||$76|
|Highlander Limited 2WD||$242||$410||$302||$18||$90||$1,062||$89|
|Highlander SE 4WD||$244||$450||$418||$24||$126||$1,262||$105|
|Highlander Limited 4WD||$348||$590||$322||$20||$96||$1,376||$115|
|Highlander Hybrid 4WD||$254||$398||$322||$20||$96||$1,090||$91|
|Highlander Hybrid Limited 4WD||$242||$410||$302||$18||$90||$1,062||$89|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New Mexico minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Estimates do not factor in specific garaging location which can change coverage rates considerably.
Where to set your deductibles
The diagram below illustrates how your deductible choice and can influence Toyota Highlander premium costs for each different age group. Data assumes a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Premiums by gender and age
The diagram below shows the comparison of Toyota Highlander insurance costs for male and female drivers. The rates are based on no claims or driving citations, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no other discounts are factored in.
Verify you're receiving every discount
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise all discounts very well, so the list below gives a summary of some of the more common as well as the least known credits available to bring down your rates. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Paperwork-free - A handful of companies will provide an incentive for buying your policy on the web.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Driving Data Discount - Las Cruces drivers who agree to allow their company to look at where and when they drive remotely like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm might see lower rates if they are good drivers.
- Multiple Policy Discount - When you have multiple policies with one insurance company you will save at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Drive Safe and Save - Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates compared to accident prone drivers.
One last thing about discounts, most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Despite the appearance that adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your premiums.
Popular auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are included below.
- GEICO has savings for seat belt use, military active duty, good student, membership and employees, daytime running lights, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife may have discounts that include defensive driver, multi-policy, good driver, claim-free, good student, and accident-free.
- State Farm includes discounts for Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, passive restraint, multiple autos, anti-theft, and student away at school.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-policy, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and online signing.
- Mercury Insurance has discounts for good driver, age of vehicle, type of vehicle, low natural disaster claims, anti-theft, and annual mileage.
- 21st Century offers discounts including homeowners, air bags, 55 and older, driver training, theft prevention, anti-lock brakes, and automatic seat belts.
- Allstate discounts include EZ pay plan discount, new car, good student, good payer, 55 and retired, and teenSMART discount.
When quoting, ask all companies you are considering to apply every possible discount. Discounts might not apply everywhere. To see companies with the best Toyota Highlander insurance discounts in New Mexico, click here to view.
Exclusive versus independent insurance agencies
Many people would rather get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is just fine! The biggest benefit of comparing insurance online is you can get cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your insurance data is emailed to agents in your area who will return price quotes for your business. You don't have to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent to your email. You can find better rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you need to compare rates from a particular provider, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Picking the best provider shouldn't rely on just the price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Las Cruces?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in New Mexico?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
The type of auto insurance agent you choose is important
When searching for a reliable agent, it helps to know the two different types of agents and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agencies can either be exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Agents that elect to be exclusive work for only one company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to shop your coverage around so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are trained well on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers sometimes purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of the brand legacy and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following is a list of exclusive agencies in Las Cruces that are able to give price quote information.
- Farmers Insurance - Martha Sanchez
100 Wyatt Dr c - Las Cruces, NM 88005 - (575) 527-9889 - View Map
- American Automobile Association (AAA) - Las Cruces, New Mexico (NM)
3991 E Lohman Ave a - Las Cruces, NM 88011 - (575) 523-5681 - View Map
- Ben Trujillo - State Farm Insurance Agent
1151 Heather Ave - Las Cruces, NM 88005 - (575) 382-3636 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent do not write with just one company so they can write business with many different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply move the coverage in-house and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparison shopping, we highly recommend that you get quotes from a couple of independent agencies to maximize your price options. Most also have access to less well-known companies which may have better rates.
Shown below is a short list of independent agents in Las Cruces willing to provide rate quotes.
- Ed Helsel Insurance
2211 N Main St #4 - Las Cruces, NM 88001 - (575) 523-2505 - View Map
- Rio Grande Insurance Services
6770 Cordova Cir - Las Cruces, NM 88007 - (575) 524-1677 - View Map
- Bernal Insurance Group
1591 E Lohman Ave Ste 2 - Las Cruces, NM 88001 - (575) 525-2886 - View Map
After you get good feedback to any questions you have and locked in a price quote, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that can be relied on to adequately provide insurance. But remember, consumers can terminate coverage whenever you wish so don't think you are locked into a specific agent with no way out.
Smart Buyers Can Save Money
Lots of factors are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable like your driving record, but some are less apparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
Lower stress equals lower rates - Jobs such as fire fighters, airline pilots, and medical professionals generally pay the highest rates in part from job stress and incredibly demanding work hours. On the flip side, jobs such as professors, engineers and retirees pay lower than average rates.
Driving citations can increase prices - Getting just one moving violation may cause rates to rise by twenty percent. Attentive drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. Drivers who have received dangerous violations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions might be required by their state to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
Where you call home - Having an address in small towns and rural areas has it's advantages when it comes to auto insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accident claims and a lower car theft rate. City drivers have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. More time commuting can result in more accidents.
Know your credit history - Your credit rating is likely to be a major factor in determining what you pay. Therefore, if your credit history can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your Toyota Highlander by spending a little time repairing your credit. Insureds with good credit tend to be better risks to insure than drivers with lower credit scores.
Optional features that cut premiums - Owning a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your rates. Systems that thwart thieves like GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can thwart auto theft and help lower rates.
Continuous auto insurance coverage saves money - Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse can be a fast way to increase your auto insurance rates. Not only will rates go up, being ticketed for driving with no insurance might get you fines or a revoked license.
Toyota Highlander claim statistics - Car insurance companies analyze past claim statistics when they set coverage costs for each model. Vehicles that the statistics show to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will be charged more to insure. The next table illustrates the historical insurance loss data for Toyota Highlander vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, as an average, is represented as 100. Percentages below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while numbers above 100 point to more frequent losses or tendency to have higher losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Toyota Highlander Vehicles
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Toyota Highlander 4dr 2WD||88||82||94||94||78||75|
|Toyota Highlander 4dr 4WD||95||86||117||88||74||78|
|Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr 4WD||111||143|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Three reasons to not skimp on insurance
Despite the potentially high cost of Toyota Highlander insurance, insurance is required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to be legal. In New Mexico these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, it's most likely the lender will require you to buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Toyota for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them for it.
- Insurance protects your Toyota and your assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your Highlander are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. The average driver in New Mexico is overpaying more than $865 each year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
Affordable coverage is out there
We covered many ways to compare Toyota Highlander insurance prices in Las Cruces. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you'll have of finding inexpensive Las Cruces car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with the least-expected company.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, someone dropped liability coverage limits only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Lower-priced auto insurance in Las Cruces can be bought both online and with local Las Cruces insurance agents, so you need to quote Las Cruces car insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who may not offer rates over the internet and many times these regional insurance providers work with independent insurance agents.
Other learning opportunities
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest New Mexico Auto Insurance for Uninsured Drivers? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Las Vegas, New Mexico? (FAQ)
- How Much are New Mexico Auto Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Elantra? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Unemployed Drivers in New Mexico? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Silver City, New Mexico? (FAQ)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)